Hot Weather Update
The heat health alert for Kent has been ramped up, leading to advice for vulnerable residents such as the elderly, the very young, and people with chronic or severe illness who could be at extra risk
The amber warning for extreme heat for Sunday (17 July) and Monday (18 July) means temperatures are expected to continue to rise this week, likely peaking on Sunday and Monday with exceptionally high temperatures possible.
Health experts are appealing to people to check on friends, relatives and neighbours who may be less able to look after themselves. Advice includes keeping cool, staying hydrated and being prepared – for example, staying out of the sun during the hottest part of the day, drinking cold drinks regularly, such as water and avoiding tea, coffee and alcohol.
Key advice in hot weather includes:
- look out for others, especially older people, young children and babies and those with underlying health conditions
- drink plenty of fluids and avoid excess alcohol
- never leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle, especially infants, young children or animals
- try to keep out of the sun between 11am to 3pm. Walk in the shade, apply sunscreen and wear a hat if you have to go out in the heat. Avoid physical exertion in the hottest parts of the day
- close curtains on rooms that face the sun to keep indoor spaces cooler and remember it may be cooler outdoors than indoors
- take care and follow local safety advice if you are going into the water to cool down
- wear light, loose fitting cotton clothes
- if you are travelling, make sure you take water with you, check weather forecasts and traffic news
- plan ahead to make sure you have enough supplies, such as water, food and any medications you need
- people are urged not to go to A&E or call 999 unless it’s an emergency. If you are in any doubt, NHS111 can help you get the right treatment.
Published: Jul 15, 2022
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.